Monday, May 3, 2010

Calvin's Challenge - Jeff Ryan rides 235 miles in 12hrs for 2nd place!

From Jeff Ryan: As most of you know, sanity is not a strong suit of mine. Yesterday was Calvin’s Challenge in Springfield, Ohio. This is a 12 hour road race. The concept is simple, whoever goes the farthest in 12 hours wins. About 200 people registered for the race. It started fine for me even with the rain we had for the first 65 miles. The lead group kept dwindling during the first 100 miles until there were only 4 of us left. We covered the first 100 miles in 4.5 hours. Unfortunately, that is where I got a flat tire. I should have stopped to fix it, but it was a slow leak and I wasn’t really in the mood. I kept putting air in the tire every 25 miles or so and kept going. I rode the next 100 miles by myself in 5.5 hours. At 202 miles I switched over to the short loop and got to ride with people again. With the wind we had yesterday, drafting off people again was very welcomed. I got in another 33 miles before the time expired. The 235 miles gave me 2nd place overall. The flyover at 150 miles in by the 3 fighter jets from Wright-Pat made the day.

No comments: